Everything Goes Quiet:Abandoned Places

Every town has it's secrets.

St. Crispins Asylum (County Asylum) - St. Crispins - Northampton


St Crispins was a large mental hospital on the outskirts of Duston in Northamptonshire, England. It was established in the 1876 as the Berrywood Asylum. It closed in 1995 and its grounds are being developed into a new mental hospital, set to open in May 2010.


Following the closure of St. Crispin's Asylum, the main building was left abandoned for a number of years and became neglected and prone to vandalism and arson which destroyed the roof of the recreation hall. Some buildings within the grounds, notably those connected with the Princess Marina Hospital remained in use, as well as the staff social club and bowling green. The former chapel is now in use for religious purposes by the Greek orthodox religion and dedicated to St. Neophytos. The chapel and former isolation hospital are both listed at Grade II and to be incorported within the new development, The bell tower will remain and be put under restoration.


The main building itself is currently undergoing conversion to private residential use with the retention of the original male and female blocks, tower, administration block, superintendent's house and children's block being retained. Elsewhere within the grounds, the former stables and nurse's home have also been refurbished. Other later buildings and service areas have been cleared. The Pendered Centre, formerly the admission hospital, continues in use for local mental health services although the neighbouring convalescent villas have been demolished. New housing was developed on the site of staff housing and football grounds to the east of the admission hospital around 1993, although a group of early houses survive on the main road. Further housing has since been developed on open land to the west as well.



By 1884, and completed 1887 further extensions took place, creating a new block for idiot and imbecile children adjacent to the female wing, blocks for epileptics on either side, a resevoir and fire station, stable yard and an isolation hospital with a distinctive pyramidal roofline. A stone chapel and mortuary were also constructed.

With the onset of World War I, the institution accommodated some of the inmates evacuated from the Norfolk County Asylum, until 1916, when Berrywood was also turned over to war use and its own population distributed across East Anglia and the East Midlands. As the Duston War Hospital, the asylum was put to extensive use for military cases being treated and recovering from injury. Many images survive of the hospital during this period of use. However, peace brought a return of the building and a return of its patient population. A change of name from asylum to mental hospital was to mark another period of growth and during the 1930's, extensions took place. These took the form of a new nurse's home, refurbishment of some of the staff residences, a new admission hospital (now the Pendered Centre) with two villas for male and female convalescent patients, sited on an adjacent site, away from the main complex.



Following World War II, ownership of the site passed to the National Health Service and the hospital, then known as St. Crispin, reached it's highest number of occupants. Two new villas for female working patients (Grafton and Eden Lodges)were constructed south of the female wing in 1954. The grounds to the south of the hospital farm was developed for mental handicap services during the early 1970's and was to be one of the last major long stay facilities of it's kind in England. Named the Princess Marina hospital, it provided a home for a number of Northampton patients previously resident at Bromham Hospital in Bedfordshire and although adjacent to St.Crispin, it was located within the Upton parish and access from the south. Kent Road, a drive which had pre-existed the new hospital was retained and adapted as the main access route, with an entrance off road to the south. Some facilities, particularly the laundry, were centralized and expanded at St. Crispin. A social club for staff was sited close to a remodeled entrance onto Berrywood Road.



THIS COLLECTION INCLUDES PHOTOS FROM THE TOP OF THE BELL TOWER & FARM COMPLEX!
TO SEE THE COLLECTION OF PHOTOS PLEASE CLICK HERE

8 comments:

Anonymous 12 May 2010 at 08:59  

Awesome site, could never get up in the clock tower when we were there, nice one

Unknown 27 February 2016 at 05:16  

Few recent videos on YouTube and there's a couple of videos of people who managed to get up Havnt personally been In there myself but want too.

Jodie Mallard 3 September 2016 at 07:59  

Still there?

xslap bmx 14 October 2016 at 12:25  

Yeah it's there

xslap bmx 14 October 2016 at 12:25  

Yeah it's there

Unknown 6 February 2017 at 09:40  

Is it still there in 2017

oscar spencer 12 February 2017 at 11:44  

Yep, went there again just yesterday. All the interesting areas are still there including the clock tower and all the ladders up

Jordan Reynolds 19 March 2017 at 04:08  

Where is it do you have a address?

Post a Comment

WARNING

Please note: We do not condone any forms of illegal graffiti or trespassing, All urbex visits have strict rules and regulations, the building is always left in the same way it was when entered and no items/objects are removed/stolen from the building (No matter what the value is.)

All photos remain property of EverythingGoesQuiet and the owner, If used please give reference link to where the photos were taken from. Copyright EverythingGoesQuiet

Hit Counter

Search This Blog

What's this blog all about?

Everything Goes Quiet is about places you don't want to go to alone, places that might be in your nightmares. A team of us go to places such as abandoned factories and asylums and photograph it's insides, we then give you all an online webtour of what is inside. There is no rules or standards here, you will see what we see and nothing will be hidden away.
There was an error in this gadget

How did you find us?

Our Communities